Gone are the days when you could not bring your wristwatch to the water because there was a high risk of its damage. Fitbit is a popular brand of smartwatches that comes with amazing features. You can record all your fitness with the help of this.
Fitbit also comes with an exciting feature, the “water lock”. It facilitates swimmers, divers, and water sports enthusiasts to track their workout activity during swimming and showering. It temporarily disables and locks your Fitbit device while in contact with water.
In this article, I will explain what a water lock is, how you can turn it ON and OFF, how much it’s beneficial for you to use it. So keep reading!
Table of Contents
Fitbit Water Lock Mode to Enhance Your Water-Related Activities
What is a water lock mode. Could you get benefit from it. Lets explore together!
What is a Water Lock
A water lock is a fantastic feature specifically useful in water-related activities. It prevents the Fitbit device from moving and accidental presses of buttons and taps on the screen. Activation of water lock mode temporarily turns off your Fitbit screen, which prevents the Fitbit screen from unintentional taps or touches when your Fitbit tracker is wet.
How Does Water Lock Benefits You?
How to Enable/Disable the Water Lock on Fitbit?
You might find it hard to turn on/Off the water lock. But it’s so easy and simple to do it. Let’s discuss the process in detail.
Steps to Turn ON the Water Lock
Follow the below instructions to turn on the water lock mode on your Fitbit device.
- First, you must ensure your Fitbit model has a water lock feature.
- Tap the Fitbit’s display to power it on.
- Swipe up on the clock or main screen until you see a water lock icon.
- Tap the water lock icon.
- Then, firmly double-tap the water lock icon to enable the mode.
- Then, the water lock icon will appear on the display screen to confirm that it’s activated.
- The water lock icon starts appearing at the bottom of the screen.
- While the water lock mode is active, you’ll need to use the accelerometer to turn the screen on and off.
When you start swimming, showering, or walking in the rain, you must activate the water lock mode by following the above steps. You will enjoy an uninterrupted and safe smartwatch experience.
Here are steps to turn off the water lock mode and restore the normal functioning of the watch.
- First, you must make sure that your fitness tracker is moisture-free. To do this, clean it properly.
- Then, press the left button to access the main or clock screen.
- Then, it would help if you woke up the Fitbit screen with a single tap.
- Then, double-tap on the screen to turn it off, and you will see the unlocking animation.
- If the water lock is still working, tap on the screen hard or with a little force because it uses the accelerometer to detect touches or presses.
Turning it OFF will unlock your screen, and you see and interact with notifications, tracking updates and data, alarm reminders, etc.
Water Lock Mode: Manual vs. Automatic Activation
The water lock mode on the Fitbit watch blocks unintentional button presses on its display while maintaining essential features like tracking heart rate, calories, alarms, notifications, etc. However, the sad part is not all the Fitbit models have water locks.
Here are some Fitbit devices that do offer this feature:
|Fitbit Model||Activation Method|
|Fitbit Luxe||Manual Activation|
|Fitbit Ace 3||Manual Activation|
|Fitbit Charge 5||Manual Activation|
|Fitbit Inspire 2||Manual Activation|
|Fitbit Versa 3||Automatic Activation|
|Fitbit Sense||Automatic Activation|
Before activating water lock mode, you must consider the following practices regarding its usage. Let’s discuss safety tips for water lock mode:
You must follow these tips to enjoy smooth, stress-free swimming and water workouts.
How Can You Prevent Water Damage to Your Device Without Water Lock?
If your fitness tracker doesn’t have water lock mode, you can consider alternatives. Here are a few suggestions you can try:
Avoid Water Contact
One straightforward alternative is to avoid getting your fitness tracker in contact with water. This prevents the risk of water damage.
Consider Water-Resistant and Waterproof Devices
If you want to enjoy interruption-free swimming and water-related activities without worrying about water damage, consider using fitness trackers designed to be water-resistant or completely waterproof.
- You can use Flex 2 or Iconic to enjoy interruption-free swimming because they are water-resistant and completely waterproof.
- Alternatively, you can opt for a dedicated waterproof watch or activity gear for underwater use.
To sum up, the Fitbit’s water lock mode is an amazing feature to safeguard your fitness tracker during water-related activities. It acts as a protective shield when the device comes into contact with water. This feature is particularly useful for Fitbit models that are water-resistant but not fully waterproof, as it allows users to enjoy swimming, showering, and other aquatic activities without compromising the functionality of their device.
1. Can Water Lock mode prevent Fitbit from corrosive substances like soap and shampoo?
Water Lock mode is primarily for water protection. Fitbit devices are water-resistant but may not withstand corrosive substances. To prevent damage, avoid exposing your device to such substances.
2. Does enabling the water lock mode affect battery life on Fitbit devices?
When you enable the water lock, it has a minimal impact on the battery life of Fitbit devices.
3. What should I do if the screen remains unresponsive after turning off the water lock on the Fitbit Inspire 2?
If your Fitbit Inspire 2’s screen is unresponsive after turning off the water lock, consider restarting the device and ensuring that your Fitbit’s software is up to date. The last step to take would be to reset it.
4. Can I Still Receive Notifications with the Water Lock Mode Activated?
Yes, with Water Lock mode on, you can continue to receive notifications, alarms, and reminders on your Fitbit device. This ensures you stay connected even during water activities.